The Mitnick formula

 

In this blogpost I am going to talk about the so called “Mitnick formula”. This formal divide security into three different categories:

  • ·         Technology:

o   Networks

o   Firewalls

o   Antiviruses

  • ·         Training:

o   Awareness of different attacks

  • ·         Policy:

o   Set procedures and requirements

Based on these attributes I am going to take a look at Hungary’s situation and try my best to evaluate the security in the country. So, let’s go one by one and start with technology.

The technology in my home country is not the best but not the worst either, I would say we are an average 21st century country based on the physical equipment and technologies we got. The country does not have too much money, so the equipment is not the newest most of the time but don’t get me wrong we are not poor, so it is not the worst either.

Now let’s take a look at training. Well in this case, as of my experience, we are very bad. The company where I worked at had some pretty clever engineers in their ranks and the physical security was very good. We had access cards, could only access certain parts of the building and our movement was “monitored”. When it came to IT security the case was much worse. We had administrators and could only do certain tasks on the computers with their permission, but to do our jobs we also needed admin privileges and to get that all it took was a ticket written to IT support who then granted us the permission. After that you could do almost anything on the computers. Access was denied for certain files but if I got a virus that could have infected those, I had access to and even distance branches of the company. The fact that most of the people working there were very goon in their own fields but not good in IT makes it worse.

Now about set procedures and requirements. I can tell you the same as I did before. In a physical aspect it was very well worked out and usually in in Hungary but when it comes to IT then it has serious problems. The problem is that Hungary does not put much effort into making the people aware of IT dangers they can face so most of the population have problem even with connecting to a Wi-Fi.

I will leave the conclusion to the readers this time.

Thank you for reading and take care.

Balint Adam

4/7/2021

Comments

Popular Posts